Blog

Dogs & Chocolate (are not good friends)

Posted by

Talk about scary!! Last Easter my 40 pound hound ate an entire solid dark chocolate bunny while we were out. Thankfully she gave most of it back - all over the carpet. (Didn't think it was possible to be grateful for great pools of dog barf.)

I wasn’t sure how much she actually ingested so I gave her activated charcoal capsules and called our vet. He recommended giving her charcoal (lol) and observation for signs of toxicity. Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it, and include the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Tremors
  • Elevated or abnormal heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Collapse and death

Note: Older dogs and dogs with heart conditions are more at risk of sudden death from chocolate poisoning.

The need for immediate medical treatment depends on the type of chocolate, the amount eaten and the size of the dog. Chocolate contains two substances that are toxic to dogs: theobromine and caffeine. Dogs metabolize these items much slower than people do, meaning toxicity symptoms may be slow to appear and may last up to 72 hours,

The Merck Manual for Veterinary Health explains that chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine, both which can speed the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system of dogs. The risk of your dog becoming sick from ingesting chocolate depends on the type and amount of chocolate consumed and the weight of the dog. The concentrations of these toxic substances varies among different types of chocolateIf you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately and/or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice. Based on your dog’s size and the amount and type of chocolate consumed, your veterinarian may recommend that you simply monitor him for the clinical signs listed above and call back if his condition worsens.

In other cases, the veterinarian may prefer you bring the dog into the clinic. If your pet consumed the chocolate less than two hours ago, your veterinarian may induce vomiting and give him several doses of activated charcoal, which works to move the toxins out of the body without being absorbed into the bloodstream. For more severe cases, veterinary intervention may be needed to provide supplemental treatment, such as medications or IV fluids, to resolve the effects of the poisoning. Dogs suffering from seizures may need to be monitored at the clinic overnight.

There will be lots of chocolate around over the next few days and let’s face it, for many the chocolate fiesta has already started! Don’t be careless like I was and leave your goodies out. When you’ve had your fill of candy, especially chocolate, pick it up, pack it up and put it away. And watch out for these other risky seasonal hazards.

PS: My dog was just fine. 

Ear Problems, Yeast, and Mites

Ear diseases are a common condition in pets, often centered around the outer ear canal. The medical name for inflammation of the outer ear canal is ‘otitis externa.’ Common signs of ear disease include: Excessive ear scratching or rubbing ears against objects Head shaking or tilting Odor that may remind you of yeast, sweat socks or a sewer Redness & bleeding Swelling Matted [...]

Read More »


Cheyletiella - the Third Type of Mange Mite

Dog got dandruff? Does she itch too? It might be more than just dry skin.Demodectic and Sarcoptic mange are the most common type of mange. But then there's Cheyletiellosis — a medical condition caused by an infestation of Cheyletiella mites.Cheyletiella live on the skin, causing irritation, dandruff, and itchiness. When it invades an animal it can be [...]

Read More »


How to Properly Bathe Your Dog with Benzoyl Peroxide Shampoo

Washing a dog is washing a dog is washing a dog, right? Absolutely not! Not when mites are present, especially Demodectic mites.Demodex burrow deep in your dog’s follicles and pores. They eat the yeast down there so they go down to the darkest, most moist place where yeast grows the best. They push sappy sebum [...]

Read More »


Is Demodectic Mange Hereditary?

The argument that Demodectic mange is heredity is a real hot potato. And it’s one that will no doubt rage on for years. Age-old conventional medicine staunchly claims it is a genetic defect and dogs that have had Demodectic mange should never be bred. These days, many people call that theory into question. One reason [...]

Read More »


Blue Buffalo Dog Food Under Fire

Blue Buffalo Dog Food - All Natural? There’s an assumption that cost is an indicator of quality. While it’s true that good dog food doesn’t come cheap, there's no guarantee that pricey dog foods marketed as “premium” dog food or “all natural” are what they say they are. Ongoing allegations against Blue Buffalo and other dog [...]

Read More »


Probiotics for Dogs

Probiotics for dogs? Absolutely! Okay, before we get started, let’s acknowledge a couple of indisputable things: 95% of dogs have digestive problems even if no outward symptoms are present.Roughly 80% of immune health starts in the gut. 100% of yeast is regulated in the gut. Demodectic mange is the result of a weak immune system and is nearly always [...]

Read More »


Dog Food Label - Ingredients are not always what they seem

Tricky Dog Food Label Practices Just like in many prepared human edibles, prepared dog food is convenient. But you have to watch out. When you outsource nutrition, you take a pretty huge leap of faith. Let me give you a shocking example you might be able to relate to in your life. McDonald’s burgers are ground [...]

Read More »


Healthy Dog Food Resources

As you've probably gleaned from our other educational information, what you feed your pet directly impacts its health. Nowhere is this more true than a dog with mange. A healthy diet is important to the recovery of a sick pup and helps ensure good health for the long haul.So what brand should I feed my [...]

Read More »


How To Starve Demodectic Mange

Demodectic Mange is one of the most dreaded conditions a dog lover could face with their canine companions. The itchy, flaky skin, hair loss and open sores speak for themselves in just how much this parasite adversely affects your pet.  The condition leaves your dog open to secondary infections and the disease, in time, can become [...]

Read More »